Brief Historical Sketch

FOUNDED 1749
390 Swamp Church Road
 

  The Swamp Christian Fellowship is one of the oldest congregations in northern Lancaster County. Settlers of the Reformed faith located in the vicinity of the church as early as 1727. Muddy Creek Reformed is reported to be the mother church (1730). A preaching point was established at Michael Amweg's (now Swamp) as early as 1749. In the extract of a Baptismal Book at Michael Amweg's the first baptism is dated July 20, 1749.

On May 22, 1755, a tract of land was received from the Penn heirs called "Swamp Church Ground." A log building was erected as a place of worship in the present old cemetery where the remains of the first pastor, John Waldschmidt, are buried.

In 1806, our faithful forefathers engaged in the erection of the present house of worship. By invitation of the Reformed people the Lutherans worshipped in the same building and worshipped there alternately until March of 1959 when they moved into their own building a short distance away.

On October 22, 1933, a re-dedication service for the annex was conducted by the Reformed and Lutheran congregations. A former event of importance to the Reformed people was the unveiling of a memorial tablet in memory of John Michael Amweg, one of the founders of Swamp Reformed Church, September 29, 1929.

The Swamp Union Sunday School was instrumental in erecting a social hall in 1936. The School also erected the Band Shell, dedicated to the honor and memory of the Service Men of World Wars I and II on Sunday, May 9, 1948.

In November of 1961, Swamp Christian Fellowship separated from the Muddy Creek Charge and called its first full-time pastor in June of 1962, Donald F. Geschwindt.

On September 29, 1963, the present Christian Education Building was dedicated. During this period, the parking lot was paved, and a planter was placed in front a the church. New lights were installed in the sanctuary in keeping with its colonial atmo­sphere, the belfrey was rebuilt and the roof replaced. During the years between 1970 and 1976 the outside of the church was sand blasted, exposing the original stonework which was then repointed and a preservative applied. The sanctuary was made handi­capped accessible by the addition of a ramp at the front entrance.

Compiled by Rev. Donald F Geschwindt